Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Finally! A garden-themed post.

Since it was a balmy 39 degrees yesterday AND sunny, I decided it was time to do something-anything-in the garden. Granted I have started some cold weather crops in the house and also at the greenhouse, but that wasn't cutting it. So, I took my peas, the inoculant, a shovel, and a trowel out to the veggie bed and got to work.

I sowed three types of peas;
Burpeeana Early,
Dark Seeded Simpson; and
Dwarf Gray Sugar.

I flanked the 'Early' and 'Simpson' peas around the garlic rows, figuring the pea should be over by the time I'm ready to dig the garlic. I placed the dwarf type along the fence, since I will be ripping them out before I plant any pole beans later, in much warmer weather!

Since my garden shed is on hold for a bit, I plan on using the sunny space to put in a few raised beds for tomatoes and peppers. That's the biggest problem with lack of sun; I am always trying to figure out a way to rotate crops.

I was less than thrilled to wake up this morning and find snow on the ground. Doesn't Mother Nature know that I want to get started with spring? Gee whiz, the nerve of some people. I guess I'll find out just how cold hardy those peas are, huh?

"That don't befront me", as George T. would say. Just as long as I get my peas before summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment